SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
2012 SPECIAL OUTREACH PROGRAM
Being sent abroad or brought home by the Army has often meant passing through the New Jersey installation known first as Camp Dix, then Fort Dix and now Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst!
This base is where Elvis Presley was demobilized after his duty in Germany ended in 1960; Hall of Fame Dodgers pitchers Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax had basic training there; even comedian Redd Foxx's Fred Sanford television character talked about kitchen patrol there.
More than 77,000 troops have been mobilized there for service in Iraq and Afghanistan and other spots for the Global War on Terror since October 2001.
Did you also know that this base has a Wounded Transition Unit (WTU) which houses Wounded Warriors from all over the USA returning from defending our freedom?
According to the American Red Cross (ARC) the Joint Base McGuire-Fort Dix-Lakehurstpresently has 130 Wounded Warriors in their Wounded Transition Unit (WTU).
These Wounded Warriors remain there for approximately 3 weeks as they are transitioned back into life in the USA and are learning to live with their disabilities. Many are miles away from their families and loved ones and need support!
To thank these Wounded Warriors we will be the NJSAOHN Board of Directors will be collecting donations at our Annual NJSAOHN State Meeting on March 15, 2012th. The ARC has provided us with a list of needed items. Monetary donations will also be accepted and checks can be made out to NJSAOHN - memo line - Wounded Warriors.
Please remember to bring a donation with you when you attend the meeting.
- Sweatpants - solid color, black, or gray - no logos
- Zip up hooded Sweatshirts - solid color, black or gray - no logos
- Tee-shirts - solid colors, black, or gray - no logos
- Athletic shorts - solid colors - black, gray or dark blue - no logos
- Day planners - with large enough daily blocks for the soldiers to write in.
- Sheets - solid color - no red please - twin sized
- Blankets - solid color - no red please - twin sized
- Black messenger bags
- Microwaveable food - (please no expired or soon-to-be-expired food.)
- Laundry detergent
- As per needed - medical needs items (P.D.A., motorized lounge chair, etc)
- WII Fit games, etc.
- Items for the day room
- New board games
- Money for catered dinners / events
- Shower shoes
- Hygiene items
- Individually wrapped snacks